8.6.13

Last Day in Israel

Since today is my last day in Israel (we fly to Turkey tomorrow) my thoughts have turned nostalgic.  It would be impossible to sum up everything I have learned since I have learned about the Bible and its context, geography, geology, politics, and from friends.  My guess is that years from now as I look back on Israel I will most remember a place and a person.


The place is the wilderness of Judea.  During one of our first days we spent a few hours in the hot midday sun of the desert on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho.  It became a theme of our studies that God is the God of the desert and not of the easy places.  He constantly brings His people here in order to teach and reveal Himself to them.  In Hosea 2 when Israel, who is portrayed a an adulterous wife, needs to be drawn back to God He promises to "now allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her."  God reveals Himself in the desert.  God brings His people into the desert.  God speaks in the desert.  God is with us in the desert.  God is with you in your desert.


The person is Majdi (the man next to me in the photo).  He is the shopkeeper of a small schwarma place in East Jerusalem just outside of the Old City.  We met him pretty randomly one night as we were trying to find somewhere to hang out with locals.  A conversation began that lasted over several visits about Israel, Palestine, Jerusalem, Musliums, Christians, Jews, and America.  Once I asked him if there would be another uprising, or intifada, and he answered, "We hope!"  And I can only describe the look in his eyes as of true and deep hope.  The Palestinians have been put in a place where they lack basic human rights like freedom of movement and feel like the only way out is through violence.  Peaceful protests are happening, but since 1967 they have made no difference.  If you corner an animal it is bound to bite.  I feel so sad that both sides feel like victims and like they have to resort to violence in order for them to have security or freedom.  I do not know how, but the Church and I have to help.  God please bring peace in this apartheid state!




No comments:

Post a Comment